So this is a thing now. New site is up and running! My old blog and portfolio have been taken out back and shot, and this shiny new site will carry on in the glorious tradition of me pimping my wares in their place. Take a look around! Tell me what you think! And be sure to update your bookmarks and/or RSS feeds if you've really been following me that obsessively!
...Some architectural renderings! I was hoping to bulk out my portfolio a little for the purposes of getting some freelance work on the side, cause who in their right mind hates money? This in mind, and knowing that there was not really a bustling market for freelance character artists, I decided to add some arch viz work. This is the result. I learned how to light and render properly using mentalRay and the daylighting system thanks to the Jeff Patton Gnomon video series, and a great book, called Realistic Architectural Visualization with 3ds Max and mental ray
In the end, I learned a ton and am that much closer to knowing everything about everything ever. Hooray for me.
POSTED BY Dave on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 under 3dsMax, Anatomy, Lighting / Rendering, Portfolio, Sketch, ZBrush
I've been spending some time lately doing arch viz, since it's really the only thing you can hope to get for freelance, and boy howdy, would I like some freelance. Anyway, after like 3 weeks of playing around with that stuff, I was DYING to get back into sculpting again, so I just kinda started doodling this. When I finished, I decided, "why not throw on a quick poly paint?" and so I did that too. After that, I thought to myself, "self, I've been spending a lot of time with Mental Ray learning how to light and render with physically based lighting, perhaps I should toss this dude into a scene" and so I did that too. All in all, I spent maybe two and a half hours on this, every moment of which was spent with me proclaiming "I'VE MISSED YOU SCULPTING!!!"
So in summary: bust of Kilowog - A member of the Green Lantern Corps. Modeled / textured / lit / rendered in about 2.5 - 3 hours, rendered in mentalRay. Feel free to C&C if you so desire, but like I said, this was just a doodle, and as such, there's not much chance of me going back to work on it.
Here's my latest work in progress. Sculpted over my lunches for somewhere around 3 weeks, on and off. I'm trying to decide on colour schemes and whatnot at the moment, then texturing will begin! I'll update again when there's something substantial to show on that front.
I've FINALLY done it. Steampunk-Man McGee is finally retopologized, and the normal and texture maps have been shifted over. I used this cool plugin for Max called Max_Retopo that shrink wraps any geometry you model around the high poly base. I've been using Topogun until now, but I think I'm gonna just start using this; it's easier, faster, and is one less program I have to deal with. Anyway, normal map and texture transfer accomplished with xNormal, and it also generated cavity and AO maps for me while it was at it. Finished mesh, with weapon and accessories weighs in at about 8500 polys. Production sheet below:
...Oh ya, the astute among you will note that the image above implies boylie3d.com to be a thing. Well, it totally is. It's my shiny new portfolio site, though I am already trying to sort out how to do the thing properly from scratch (this one was made with the free service Weebly, which is awesome if you're trying to get a site up in a hurry.)
Anyway, that's about it for now, I'm trying to sort out what I wanna do next. Hmm.......